OUR CHURCH HISTORY
Methodist circuit riders inspired the formation of a class in Bristol in 1801 that became the Methodist Church. The Congregational Church was formally organized in 1826. In 1935, with large chruch buildings, small congregations and depression era finances, the two chruches joined to form the Bristol Federated Church.
For nearly 35 years the church continued as a federation, having one minister and using one building, but maintaining two membership rolls and separate finances. Eventually, the practice of having two organizational structures seemed uncalled for since the church acted as one unit. In 1969, the church reorganized as a union church, supporting and supported by both denominations and alternating between Methodist and United Church of Christ (which the Congregational Church became in 1957) ministers. While the union dissolved the federation, the church kept its name.
Our church building was erected in 1827 as the Congregational Church. The fellowship hall and classrooms were added in 1967. The former Methodist Church building is now the home of the Tapply Thompson Community Center where the building continues to serve the people of Bristol.
In 2006, looking ahead to ministry in the 21st century, we voted to end our association with the United Methodist Church and strengthen our connection and commitment to the United Church of Christ. We also chose to go by the name Bristol United Church of Christ.